Sunday, April 24, 2011

Sharing Memories (Week 17 of 52): Easter

First Communion - Indianapolis 

How did you celebrate Easter as a child? How do you celebrate it now? Do you carry on traditions from your parents or grandparents? What is your favorite Easter memory?

My favorite childhood Easter outfit was a light blue and white hounds-tooth coat with a beautiful robin's egg blue dress and white patent leather shoes. There was a snappy little matching clutch and a hat with a light blue ribbon hugging the hat at the meeting point of the brim and the crown. My sister had a little bonnet with eyelet lace, white shoes and a little white dress with pink and lilac flowers.   

We hunted for Easter eggs, but our parents preferred the basket brimming with goodies to the hunting of eggs. We had all kinds of foil wrapped chocolates and bunnies over the years. Even as adults, we received a tasty chocolate treat for Easter -- it was still fun and I miss that now that my parents are gone.

Now I celebrate by having the orphans and misfits dinner with all the trimmings. If you want to come and enjoy the meal, you are still welcome even if you still have family and parents living. There is usually lively discourse at the table and that is partially what makes it a wonderful gathering.

Most years the meal is centered around a ham -- is this a family tradition? I'm not really certain, I just know that there were many requests for it this year so ham must be the tradition is some households. The communal meals have always been my favorite part of Easter -- and other holidays too. I loved helping prepare food and the kitchen brings back so many fond memories of my family.


What is your Easter tradition?



http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2011/04/sharing-memories-week-17-of-52-easter.html

No comments: