Comfort food is welcome most places this time of year. This is one of my favorites with an update to gluten free. It is fairly healthy for the salt, fat and carbohydrate conscious too. If you try this, let me know what you think!
* 1-3/4 cups Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour
* 2 tsp. Baking Powder
* 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
* 1/2 tsp. Salt
* 1/4 cup butter (room temp)
* 1/2 cup Milk(I used organic 2%)
* 2 large Eggs (beaten)
* 1/2 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
* 1 lb skinless cooked Chicken, cubed
* 1 cup Green Peas
* 1 cup chopped Carrots
* 2 chopped Celery Stalks
* 4 cloves minced garlic (Reduce or increase amount based on taste.)
* 2-1/2 cups low sodium Gluten Free Chicken Broth (List of brands here)
* 1 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
* 2 Tbsp. Tapioca Flour
* 3 Tbsp. Water
* 1/2 cup fresh sliced Mushroom
* 1/2 tsp. Celery Salt
* 1/2 cup Dry White Wine (You can use water here too.)
* 1 tsp. dried Thyme
* Mrs Dash Garlic to taste.
1. Combine cubed chicken, peas, and corn and set aside. Place carrots, onion, celery, and garlic in skillet and cook in cooking oil until onion is transparent. Add cubed chicken, green peas, corn, and chicken broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until mixture is reduced one-third, about 5 minutes. Add all remaining ingredients,
2. Mix tapioca flour with 3 tablespoons water until paste forms, then stir into skillet slowly. Simmer until thickened. Place in greased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Set aside.
1. Preheat oven to 400�. Combine dry ingredients (flour to thyme) in large bowl. Add butter, milk, egg, and vinegar and mix together thoroughly.
2. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto prepared filling.
3. Bake 25-35 minutes or filling is bubbling and topping is nicely browned. Serve immediately.
Makes 12 Servings.
Servings Size: 1 serving (188g)
Calories 220, Calories from Fat 70, Total Fat 8g, Saturated Fat 3g, Cholesterol 60mg, Sodium 440mg, Total Carbohydrate 21g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 4g and Protein 16g.